The New VGStudio MAX 3.0
VGStudio MAX 3.0 is the high-end software for the analysis and visualization of industrial computed tomography (CT) data, which you can adjust to fit your needs with the help of our many add-on modules or our industry specific module bundles.
Leading industrial companies around the world use VGStudio MAX to easily run comprehensive, non-destructive tests in the areas of research, production, and quality assurance.
VGStudio MAX 3.0 offers:
- user-friendly functions for segmentation, analysis, and visualization;
- native processing of voxel, point cloud, mesh, and CAD data;
- macros and templates for automation; and
- optional add-on modules for almost every conceivable application.
New features in version 3.0 include:
- a revised user interface;
- memory-saving approaches to handling large data sets;
- support of point cloud data;
- more flexible automation features;
- combinable analyses; and
- simulations based on CT data.
The user interface improves on the previous version without straying too far from it; under the hood, it uses state-of-the-art technologies:
- In addition to the familiar bright theme, VGStudio MAX 3.0 offers a new dark theme that is perfect for working with gray value images.
- Bright or dark: The new user interface increases usability across the application.
VGStudio MAX 3.0 has been completely redeveloped in order to use the full performance of modern hardware:
- Open large data sets significantly faster by installing VGStudio MAX 3.0 on a PC with built-in current SSD or even SSD RAID storage.
- To significantly speed up the calculation of complex tasks, the add-on modules CT Reconstruction and Transport Phenomena use one or multiple GPUs.*
- Unload gray values with the new unload / reload volume data function. Work with high-resolution CT data sets on less powerful PCs and easily transfer such projects. Analysis results – even those based on gray values – are preserved.
*depending on installed hardware
Data Integrity and Safety Features
VGStudio MAX 3.0 makes working with files seamless, simple, and extra secure:
- The raw data is now protected against unwanted exchanges and manipulations.
- An improved open function helps those of you who have several users accessing the same project files.
- A single-file option combines all files and folders – including the source data – into one single file.
Work with Voxel, Point Cloud, CAD, and Mesh Data
VGStudio MAX 3.0 offers plenty of options to import and work natively with CAD, mesh, and point cloud data:
- VGStudio MAX 3.0 now works with point cloud data in addition to voxel, CAD, and mesh data.
- It reduces measurement uncertainty because geometry object fitting is optimized for each supported data type (voxel, CAD, mesh, and point cloud data).
- Corrupted CAD and mesh data can be repaired and optimized during import.
- CAD and mesh rendering capabilities have been vastly improved.
- You can convert CAD or mesh data to voxel, voxel to mesh, mesh to point cloud, and point cloud to mesh.
- Regions of Interest (ROI) can now also be created on CAD or mesh data and then be used for nominal / actual comparisons and wall thickness analyses.
- Create ROI templates on the CAD model – before the actual CT scan. In combination with evaluation templates, this allows for fast, automated geometry inspection tasks.
In VGStudio MAX 3.0 , you can now export and import bookmarks (just like templates) and apply them to different data sets. Bookmarks let you easily switch between different project views with multiple objects, analyses, and measurements:
- Save bookmarks including 3D and 2D views, clippings, selected coordinate systems and rendering settings.
- Export and import bookmarks.
- Apply bookmarks to different data sets.
- Also works within macros.
Quickly switch between parameters for color-coding your analysis results – with the new active columns in VGStudio MAX 3.0:
- Choose the parameters you want to be the basis for color-coding your findings in visualizations or for your statistics.
- For example, switch between visualizing a defect by its volume and its diameter with the click of a mouse.
Mathematical Operations on Voxel Data
For the first time, you can perform mathematical operations on voxel data with VGStudio MAX 3.0:
- Add, subtract, and average voxel data sets.
- Calculate a local maximum or a local minimum data set.
- Draw conclusions for the voxel data sets involved based on sums, differences, and means.
- Combine data sets that are, e.g., scanned using different techniques into one meaningful data set.
Save comprehensive inspection plans as evaluations to semi or fully automatically inspect parts:
- Each evaluation contains a comprehensive inspection plan of a part. It even logically connects the results of diverse analysis tasks in order to achieve conclusive accept/reject decisions.
- Evaluations generated with VGStudio MAX 3.0 can be used for serial inspection in VG InLine 3.0.
Macros and Templates
Macros are a convenient way to automate processes. VGStudio MAX 3.0 comes with a completely new flexible macro concept:
- The new macro concept lets you combine and rearrange macros like building blocks. This way, you can flexibly reuse macros in different contexts.
- As usual, you save complex analysis procedures as macros to run them on a single data set or – using the batch processing tool – on several data sets.
- Use macros and templates that you’ve created in VGStudio MAX 3.0 for automation with VG InLine 3.0.
VGStudio MAX 3.0 comes with improved instruments for measuring, e.g., distances, gray values, and angles:
- Instruments now support macros and templates; as well as
- tolerances for evaluation states.
Use the segmentation tools in VGStudio MAX 3.0 to separate a data set into individual parts.
- Segmentation tools include manual marquee and drawing-style tools as well as semi-automated tools (e. g., the so-called ‘region growing’). These tools will feel familiar to you if used pixel-based picture manipulation tools before.
- With segmentation tools, you separate a data set into individual parts (Regions of Interest, short ROIs). An ROI may consist of different components, materials, etc.
- All analyses and visualizations can be restricted to these ROIs.
- By using CAD models as a starting contour for a (local) adaptive surface determination, you generate precise surfaces more easily, especially in multi-material scenarios.*
- ROIs can now also be created from clipping objects.
- VGStudio MAX 3.0 comes with sub-voxel precise segmentation capabilities thus further increasing the precision of all data analysis tasks.*
*Requires the Coordinate Measurement Module.
Present your CT data more vividly – with the animation options in VGStudio MAX 3.0:
- When saving slice images or movies, the new Picture-in-Picture option shows you the exact position of the respective slice within the 3D model.
- A new Anti-Aliasing option leads to smoother-looking renderings.
- The new object exploder animates exploded views of segmented objects.
- As before, you can choose between two tools to create 3D animations: The full-featured classic keyframer and the easy-to-use simple keyframer.
Working with Bent Structures
VGStudio MAX 3.0 simplifies working with bent structures:
- The non-planar viewing mode enables you to ‘unroll’ cylindrical objects or to flatten/level a dented surface and then scroll into the object slice by slice. What hitherto only has worked with cylindrical objects now also works with freeform surfaces.
- With non-planar resampling, you can level a bent surface (freeform surface), segment this leveled surface, and then transfer the segmentation back onto the bent surface.
- The thick slab option combines consecutive slices into one 2D view. This way the information in these slices becomes visible at a glance.
Documentation and Export
We completely revamped the comprehensive features for data presentation and the documentation of results for VGStudio MAX 3.0 and added flexible reporting options. The fact that you can now create .pdf files without detours is the smallest of many valuable improvements:
- See analysis results color-coded in 3D and 2D.
- Export images, histograms, and tabular data in common file formats to work with them in other applications.
- Use your data the way you want to by exporting it in the new VG report format (.vgrf). VGStudio MAX 3.0 then saves all analysis results in a standardized folder and file structure.
- Create hand-in-hand with Microsoft Excel comprehensive and completely customizable test reports. Once customized, you can export your results including tables and pictures in an .xlsx or .pdf file with the click of a button. (Function requires Microsoft Excel.)
- Publish .pdf files without third party tools because VGStudio MAX 3.0 support this format now natively.
- See the exact position of the respective slice within the 3D model when saving slice images – with the new Picture-in-Picture option.
- Generate reports on all the analyses linked to an object – with the new top-level reporting.
- Define rules which VGStudio MAX 3.0 follows to generate images or annotations – with the new rule-based image and annotation generation. For example, you can tell VGStudio MAX 3.0 to generate pictures of all defects exceeding a certain size.
With the new combined analyses feature in VGStudio MAX 3.0, you combine the results of successive analyses:
- Combined analyses take the result of one analysis into consideration when performing a follow-up analysis with another module.
- For example, you perform a wall thickness analysis and then combine it with a porosity / inclusion analysis. A defect will then not only be classified according to size, but also reclassified according to its size in relation to the local wall thickness.